Sunday, August 1, 2010

Shakespeare's Othello


I loved the story of Othello. When I first realized that I would have to read Shakespeare I was not entirely thrilled. Shakespeare was an incredible writer, but many times due to the style of language his plays were written in they can be hard to follow. I had heard of Othello, but had no idea what the story was about. Of course with it being a tragedy someone had to die; that was just Shakespeare's style. In the case of Othello, it was Othello and Desdemona who would die. Othello would listen to the lies his friend Iago would tell him; instead of listening to his wife. Othello kills Desdemona because he believes that she has been unfaithful, but in truth Desdemona is completely innocent. Othello then proceeds to kill himself after learning the truth about his wife's innocence. If Othello and Desdemona had simply confronted Iago things would have turned out differently. If they would have forced Iago to admit that he was lying the story could have had a happy ending. I think what Shakespeare was trying to say through his play is maybe we need to listen with our hearts and our instinct instead of listening to what someone else has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment